How to Adopt and Pricing
If you’re looking for a wonderful life-long companion, then you’ve come to the right place! HSHA has animals of every shape and size to choose from. During their stay, our residents are treated by HSHA staff and volunteers to many enriching activities, such as walks, outings, events, school visits and socialization. Our staff and volunteers are very knowledgeable about our animals and can help guide you to appropriate matches. Each animal has something unique to offer, and adopters are sure to find the right animal for their home at HSHA.
Before You Adopt
- Make sure everyone in your family understands the commitment of owning a pet.
- If you rent, check with your landlord to ensure pets are allowed where you live.
- To expedite the adoption process, please bring proof of current vaccinations for any pets you already own with you to the shelter. Or, we can call your vet to confirm vaccine status.
- There are two options for bringing current pets up-to-date on vaccinations if they are not vaccinated: 1) schedule an appointment with your personal veterinarian to have your animal(s) vaccinated; or 2) attend one of HSHA’s scheduled vaccine clinics.
- Regardless of which method you use to bring your current pet(s) up to date on vaccinations, there will be a five day waiting period after your pet(s) vaccination before you can adopt a new pet. If your pet is more than 90 days of the date on vaccines, we will not be able to move forward in the adoption process. This is to ensure your animals are protected from illness.
- Everyone in your family will also need to meet the new pet prior to finalizing the adoption.
All potential adopters must complete an adoption application before a Meet and Greet can be scheduled. Applications can be completed online:
- Dog Application
- Cat Application
- Exotic Animal Application
- Dog Application: Meet Your Match! Do you want to adopt a dog, but aren’t sure which is a fit for your household? Fill out our “Meet Your Match” adoption application. Once approved, our Behavior Team will use the information in the application to recommend dogs that match your lifestyle and what you are looking for in a best friend!
How Does the Application Process Work?
- Once you submit your application, you will get a confirmation email that your application has been received.
- In up to 3 business days, one of our Adoption Team members will contact you to let you know if more information is needed or if your Adoption Application has been pre-approved. Please note applications are not reviewed on Wednesdays or Sundays.
- Once your Adoption Application is pre-approved, our Adoption Team member will work with you to set up a Get Acquainted at the Shelter with the resident. Please note that all members of the household must be present at the Get Acquainted.
- If all goes well at your Get Acquainted, our team will let you know what the next steps will be. You might even be able to adopt that same day. Our Furget Me Not retail store will be open to you to purchase any and all essential items such as crates, litter boxes, leashes, collars, toys and more. And our prices are significantly lower than you will find at Pet Stores.
Please note adoption pricing below reflects price increase effective June 1st, 2023.
Dog Adoption Pricing
Includes spay or neuter surgery, core vaccines, microchip, flea treatment, and 4DX test.
- Puppy (under 6 months): $300
- Adult (6 months to 5 years): $235
- Senior (over 5 years): $150
Cat Adoption Pricing
Includes spay or neuter surgery, core vaccines, microchip, flea treatment, and FIV/FeLV test.
- Kitten (under 6 months): $150
- Adult (6 months to 5 years): $125
- Senior (over 5 years): $100
Small Animal Adoption Pricing
- Rabbit: $50
- Rodents (guinea pig, rat, hamster, gerbil, mouse): $20
- Ferret: $75
- Birds and reptiles: varies
Adopters over the age of 60 years old are entitled to 10% discount off any adoption fee.