Volunteers are a vital part of the HSHA team. Without them, we would not be able to perform many of the essential functions at our shelter. HSHA is always looking for dedicated and committed volunteers to assist with the shelter animals and some of the everyday responsibilities of shelter life. Whether you are interested in walking dogs, helping at events, or socializing cats, there is a place for you at HSHA. The animals are waiting for you … get started today!
We are currently accepting volunteer applications. All available positions are listed below. Please check back often to see new available positions.
Before You Apply, Please Note:
- All volunteers must be 18 or older.
- The volunteer program is not intended for court-mandated community service or short-term projects. We are currently not offering community service hours.
- Volunteer’s requiring special assistance MUST be accompanied by a friend or family member.
- Completed applications are kept on file for three months and will be discarded if you do not complete the required volunteer orientation within that time.
- We consider volunteering an ongoing commitment between the volunteer and HSHA. Because of this, we require a minimum of 8 volunteer hours a month, including 2 hours of non-direct animal care (such as donation-sorting, events, etc.).
We Currently Have Openings Available For: Dog Walkers
BACKGROUND: Dog Walkers provides physical play, walking and treats for our shelter dogs
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Be an active member on the Dog Walking Team
- Fill out Behavioral Reports when necessary
- Read and understand the Dog Walking Manual
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS:
- Understands the reasons and importance of being a team player
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to multi task
- Ability to read and follow directions
- Represent HSHA and lead in a polite, responsible, motivational and professional manner.
- Share and promote the culture, purpose, and objectives of HSHA.
- Demonstrate respect and kindness towards our animals, staff, clients, donors, and other volunteers, treating each other with courtesy, sensitivity, tact, consideration, and humility.
- Value our role in ensuring the safety of each other, the animals, and the community.
- Recognize and congratulate the achievements of others.
- Follow all procedures and protocols to the best of our ability at all times, promoting healthy and safe work practices during job hours, projects and training.
- Be an active volunteer, using Volgistics to regularly record hours.
- Create and maintain a positive working relationship with the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Create and maintain a positive working relationship with Staff and Other team leads, to ensure that all teams are working together for the good of HSHA and its animals.
- Utilize good judgement and not publicly sharing confidential or sensitive information to those outside of leadership.
NOTE TO DOG WALKERS: Dog walking volunteers are required to purchase an approved leash (approximately $20-$22) for use with HSHA dogs prior to the start of your volunteering. This requirement is for the safety of both volunteers and dogs.