The Humane Society of Harrisburg Area maintains files of owners searching for their pets, as well as files of individuals who report a found animal. Reuniting hundreds of pets with their families each year is one of the most rewarding parts of what we do. Stray pets are held for 48 hours before being eligible to go up for adoption. If you have lost your pet or have found what appears to be an owned but stray animal, please contact HSHA at (717) 564-3320.
If your animal has been found and brought to HSHA, you will be required to pay a redemption fee that is based on the number of days your animal has been at the shelter:
- REDEMPTION ON THE SAME DAY YOUR PET CAME IN: $30 (as of September 2018)
- REDEMPTION THE DAY AFTER YOUR PET CAME IN: $54.50
- ADDITIONAL COST FOR SUBSEQUENT DAYS: $10 per day
If You Find a Stray Animal
- File a found report with the Humane Society by calling 717-564-3320.
- File a found report with your local police.
- Contact your local municipality for instructions on what to do with the animal.
- Be cautious when approaching the stray animal.
- Be careful about bringing the animal into your home, especially if you have your own animals.
- If the animal has ID tags, contact the owner directly.
- Get the word out by placing a “found” ad in the newspaper and posting flyers in your community.
- Check “lost” ads in the newspaper.
If You Lose Your Pet
- To file a lost report with the Humane Society, click here to complete a Lost & Found Report. Then, email the completed form with photographs of your missing animal to email@example.com. You will recieve confirmation that your report has been filed.
- File a lost found report with your local police station.
- Get the word out by placing a “lost” ad in the newspaper and posting flyers in your community.
- Check “found” ads in the newpaper.
- Call and visit the Humane Society regularly
- Contact your neighbors and ask them to keep a look out.